Friday, August 24, 2007

Every pedalboard must have one of these...

Any gigging guitarist will tell you that one of their major complaints is the amount of noise that's generated through their rig due to overhead lighting and other signal interferences. I've noticed that as soon as I turn on my compressor pedal or drive pedals that the noise floor increases exponentially. Heaven forbid I actually play a guitar equipped with single-coil pickups. Yikes! Well, I've found an awesome solution to this problem and I'm telling you, it really works!

The Decimator pedal really lives up to its name. Place this beauty last in your signal chain, or run it through your amps effects loop and listen to it clean up the noise. It only has one knob for adjusting the amount of noise reduction you need. I start with it set rather low, then I turn on all my noise-makers and adjust the knob until I can't hear any more hiss or buzz. I have found that setting the knob above 12 0'clock tends to 'squish' your sound and some single-note runs may not be translated properly. This is a problem inherent with all noise-reducing circuits. At low to moderate levels they work wonders, but the higher settings start to negatively affect your sound.

I've done pretty much everything I can to keep my rig isolated from the hum and buzz of overhead lights and such, but having the Decimator in my rig has really made a HUGE impact. The sound guys I work with must have thanked me 20 times for buying this pedal. If you have a noisy rig, do yourself a favor and check out this awesome pedal!

No comments: