Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Another 'Must-have' pedal

I've really simplified my rig these days. I've got a closet full of effects pedals, multi-effect processors like the Roland VG-88 and other miscellaneous toys. However, I'm finding that I can do so much more with fewer effects in my signal chain. Currently I'm running my guitar into the AWESOME Barber 'Tone Press' parallel compressor, then into a Seymour Duncan 'Twin Tube Classic' and finally into my Fender Blues Deluxe. The Tone Press is a true bypass parallel compressor which adds some nice clean boost as well as smooth compression without coloring your original tone. Most stompboxes tend to unnecessarily change your tone (known as 'tone-sucking') even when they aren't engaged. I notice this especially with my BOSS pedals and my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. I'm all about the purity of tone now, so the old adage "less is more" is my current mantra.

I highly recommend that you give the Tone Press a try and see what it can do. BarberElectronics makes some really great pedals that are quite inexpensive compared to some of the more well-known brands such as Fulltone and Keeley. The Tone Press will run you around $140 direct from Barber, while the Keeley Compressor is $219. I can't imagine a pedal being built better than the Barber; they spare no expense on quality components. There are sound clips of a few of their pedals on the website if you want to hear them before buying.

Anyhow, that's my Rave for the day. C-ya...

No comments: